The EGSS is compiling a lending library in the Grad Lounge with books about professionalization, (academic or non-academic) careers, and/or academic culture. The lending library is located in the back corner of the Grad Lounge (above the computer). To sign out a book, simply write your name on the blank sheet of paper posted next to the library and cross it out when you’ve returned it.
The EGSS is actively seeking donations of books on our wishlist! Email uvicegss[at]gmail.com to donate!
The following lists were last updated on 31 Mar 2017.
- They Say, I Say by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein
- English-French dictionary (for Second Language Requirement Test)
- A Canadian Writer’s Reference by Diane Hacker
- How to Complete and Survive a Doctoral Dissertation by David Sternberg
- How to Write a Journal Article in 12 Weeks by Wendy Belcher
- How to Write A Lot by Paul Silvia
- The Elements of Academic Style by Eric Hayot
- The Academic’s Handbook edited by A. Leigh Deneef and Craufurd D. Goodwin
- How to Build a Life in the Humanities: Meditations on the Academic Work-Life Balance edited by Greg Colon Semenza and Garrett A. Sullivan Jr.
- Colouring book and colour pencils
1. So What Are You Going to Do With That? Finding Careers Outside of Academia by Susan Basalla and Maggie Debelius
2. The Slow Professor by Maggie Berg and Barbara Seeber
3. Teaching to Transgress by bell hooks
4. The Professor Is In by Karen Kelsky
5. Written/Unwritten: Diversity and the Hidden Truths of Tenure by Patricia A. Matthew
6. Trans* in College: Transgender Students’ Strategies for Navigating Campus Life and the Institutional Politics of Inclusion by Z Nicolazzo
7. Mad at School: Rhetorics of Mental Disability and Academic Life by Margaret Price
8. The Black Academic’s Guide to Winning Tenure–Without Losing Your Soul by Kerry Anne Rockquemore and Tracey Laszloffy
9. Graduate Study in the 21st Century by Gregory Colon Semenza
10. Faculty of Color: Teaching in Predominantly White Colleges and Universities by Christine A. Stanley
11. Stylish Academic Writing by Helen Sword
12. Composition in the Age of Austerity by Nancy Welch and Tony Scott
13. Colouring books, colour pencils and/or other stress-busting activities