Starting time: 5:16
President’s Report: Tim
Meeting with Gary Kuchar:
- Issue of student’s feeling penalized for not gaining SSHRC funding
- Lack of transparency concerning options of funding for second year MA students — Perhaps the language of the acceptance letters should be reviewe
Language Requirement Issues:
- Problems with fulfillment: general concerns about the framework of the requirement and the specific problem concerning the recent French 300 class such as students not getting grades back in a timely fashion, unnecessarily heavily workload etc.
- Shaun to write an email and meet with Gary concerning this issue
- Problem with how this requirement is presented: concerned as to the rational behind this requirement: understanding why semantics matters
- Need more offerings for a language course (Gary to worki on this issue
- Other solutions:
- Possibility of completing online courses offered by other schools
- Figure out something with the French department
Vice-President’s Report: Kevin
Report of GSS meeting
- GSS executive board positions:
- Looking for nominees: Director of communications, director of services and director of finance, and chair of the graduate student society (which pays)- for more details visit their website
Provincial Graduate Scholarship Proposal:
- Trying to convince provincial government to establish provincial scholarship for BC coordinated with SFU and UBC- proposal sent to provincial government
UVic redrafting policy on Academic Integrity:
- too broad, too much in common with undergraduate policy.
- Graduate Students should be held to a higher standard.
- Graduate students from other cultures are not reflected in the policy
GSS reached a New Collective Barganing Agreement:
- The paid employees of the GSS are getting incremental pay raises. This will not result in an increase in our fees due to the new operating fund, which has a projected net balance of 32,593.00 which will cover this expense.
“Beyond the Jargon” Radio Show: CFUV interviews graduate students about their research– looking for more participants
Academic and Professional Committee Report: Shaun
- Suggestions for grad lounge open
- Students receiving marks extremely late in certain classes: bring up this issue with Gary
Conferences and Colloquium Committee Report: Samantha
- Upcoming colloquium on Posthumanism- 12 February in the Grad house
- Big colloquium at the end of March- organized in terms of thematic panels
- Idea of smaller presentations
Social Committee Report- Zaqir
- Grad auction: upcoming travel-grant fundraiser
- Gary will solicit auctioning items from the staff
- Zaqir in charge of location, MC, entertainment etc.
- Date still needs to be set- possibly late March or early April
- Event page to be set up on which all can post ideas/ requests for entertainment, ie. Bad poetry competition.
- Entertainment- karaoke, etc. open call
- Tryouts –musical performances, poetry,
Grad floor hockey event- Zaqir working on organizing this event
Ending time: 6:36